As Anderson grows increasingly older and is more into things now. I have a question about disciplining children especially at his age. I DO NOT want to spank him, therefore I am looking for alternatives that work for his age. Ex. Today he threw a fit in the store, because I would not let him have a pen I was signing something with, I took him outside and spanked him on the hand and told him "we do not throw fits" and then I cried all the way home for spanking his hand.
I am not a weak parent, so please don't even suggest that just because I don't spank him that I am. I just need some advice on other alternatives of discipline for his age group which is 17 months.
HELP!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Question???
Posted by Susannah at 12:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
yeah, i'm no help for you. i try to remove them first at this age and saying a stern no. but my kids are stubborn so they all got the hand spanks. it never bothered me. but i'm mean. it's just part of it. and sister, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but little boys are hard to discipline. hard. nothing will every work all the time. what will matter most is consistency. good luck!!
you could try a firm hand squeeze while giving the firm no and "the look". that might help soften things for you.
Susannah-
You are not a bad mother. You suffer from what most mother's suffer from...you don't want to hurt your child. All I can offer is my experience from my two children. Timeouts and loss of priveledges are only effective sometimes. Nothing works like a spanking. Trust me...I know how you feel. I didn't start spanking with EK until she was 18 months and I wish I would have started sooner. By spanking I mean a pop on the leg or hand. I have a book that you might like to read if you are interested.
Post a Comment